Average annual capacity:
- electricity – 539 kW;
- drinking water – 99 million cubic meters. m.
The project provides for the construction of a cascade of 7 hydroelectric power plants (HPPs) with an average annual electricity generation of 64 MW on the Ugam River in the Kazygurt district of Turkestan region, as well as the construction of a 42 km long water pipeline providing nearby areas with drinking water in the amount of 99 million cubic meters. The main raw material for the production of electricity from HPPs is a natural renewable resource - water runoff
Established in 2011, Ocean Energy Company LLP is a project company in the energy sector, is a subsidiary of SOUTS-OIL LLP (specializing in the exploration and production of hydrocarbons).
- Global electricity production reached 26,422 billion kWh in 2020, an increase of 2% over the previous year. According to Fitch Solutions forecasts, the average annual growth rate will be 2.6% for the period 2016-2024.
- Over the past decade, the volume of electricity production in the Southern zone of Kazakhstan has increased by 50%, reaching 12 billion kWh in 2020. The average annual growth rate of electricity production in the Southern Zone for the forecast period 2021-2027 will be 3.8%.
- Shortage of drinking water. In a number of regions of the Turkestan region there is an acute shortage of fresh drinking water. The implementation of the project will cover the population's demand for drinking water.
- State support. Within the framework of public-private partnership, the state guarantees the sale of products, the provision of land.
- High demand for manufactured products. Historically, the Turkestan region is energy deficient: electricity consumption is many times higher than its production. In 2020, electricity consumption in the region amounted to 4,673 million kWh, i.e. 20% of the total electricity consumption in the Southern zone. At the same time, 1,300 kWh of electricity was produced in the region, or 11% of the total volume of its production in the Southern zone.
The Project requires financing in the amount of 546,216 thousand US dollars, of which:
- 70% (382,351 thousand US dollars) - debt financing in the presence of collateral;
- from 30% (163,865 thousand US dollars) - Investor participation.